Frequently asked questions
- Close all doors and windows 12 hours prior to the start of your inspection.
- Do not open any windows during the test period.
- Quickly close doors as you enter and exit the structure.
- You may use your heating and air conditioning system as needed. Window air conditioners must have the outside air vents closed.
- Swamp coolers and whole house fans may not be used during the test period.
- Do not use your fireplace during the test period.
- Do not run exhaust fans excessively.
- All other appliances may be used normally.
- Pet access doors need to be left closed.
What is Radon?
Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas formed by the decay of uranium found in most soils and rock.
Where is radon found in California?
Its presence is determined primarily by geology and has been found throughout California.
Why do I need to be concerned about Radon?
Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers.
I am purchasing a home, should I have the home tested?
The Surgeon General and EPA recommend that all homes be tested for radon. Testing during the inspection period can give you valuable information about the home, whether remediation steps are warranted and peace of mind. A radon inspection is a small investment in your family's health.
Can I test the home myself?
Do-it-yourself test kits are available for testing your own home. However, California requires that inspections for real estate transactions be performed by a California Certified Radon Professional.
But my home doesn't have a basement, can it still have elevated radon levels?
Elevated radon levels have been found in homes with basements, slab foundations and raised foundations.
I have a short inspection period. How long does a radon test take?
Radon Testing takes 48 hours. We use state of the art electronic equipment which collects and analyzes the sample in real time. Results and a full written report are printed on site at the conclusion of your test.
I am not living in the home, how can I be sure the seller's comply with the test requirements?
The sellers may remain in the home during the test period. Dialogue with the sellers preceding the test is important. A copy of the test instructions will be forwarded to them during the scheduling process. We are available to answer any questions or concerns. Compliance verification steps are taken which include tamper seals on windows and non-essential doors and "close door" reminder notes on doors that will be used during the test period. Our equipment collects data on an hourly basis which will be analyzed for quality and consistency.